Tim Hayes, you are the proprietor of your firm. What sparked your interest in financial advising, and what were you doing professionally speaking before forming this firm? What is the history of this firm?
Out of college, I started in financial services with a small company (United Resources) that specialized in 403(b) plans. They were quickly bought out by MetLife. I worked at MetLife Resources, a division of MetLife specializing in retirement plans and managing client portfolios, for 20 years.
Ten years ago, I decided I wanted to go independent. I am now affiliated with Cambridge Investment Research Advisors, Inc., a $44B RIA based in Fairfield, IA. I am also registered with Cambridge Investment Research, Inc., an independent broker-dealer with over 3,000 registered representatives nationwide.
What qualities do you seek in potential clients, and, on the flip side, what qualities do you and the firm have that prompt potential clients to select your services?
I hope clients come to me because I put their interests first. I have a lot of experience and have been through a bunch of different markets, and I am independent. I am not required to sell any companies’ products.
What is the greatest success in this industry, and what is the failure or challenge you have learned the most from?
Understanding how our banking and financial system works. Without this understanding, financial advisors walk around in the dark without a flashlight.
You can read more about my business on my services pages
+ Click to read more
Series 66 Exam, Taken 12-18-2012, Scored 93%
Series 7 Exam, Taken 07-20-2005, Scored 92%
Series 63 Exam, Taken 03-22-1989, Scored 86%
Series 6 Exam, Taken 02-23-1989, Scored 92%
+ Click to read more
Hourly Rate $150 Hour
Commission Depends on the Product
+ Click to read more
Accredited Portfolio Management Advisor℠, or APMA®
Individuals who hold the APMA® designation have: The Accredited Portfolio Management Advisor℠ or APMA® Program is a professional designation program for financial professionals. The program is designed to educate advisors on the subtler points of portfolio creation, augmentation, and maintenance. Topics covered include:
- client assessment and suitability
- risk/return, investment objectives
- bond and equity portfolios
- modern portfolio theory
- investor psychology
- and other topics germane to building appropriate client portfolios
Accredited Investment Fiduciary, or AIF®
Individuals who hold the AIF® designation have:
- Completed the AIF® Designation Training;
- Passed the AIF® designation exam;
- Met the designation’s prerequisites and qualification and conduct standards;
- Accrued a minimum of six hours of continuing professional education, with at least four hours coming from fi360-produced sources;
- Attested to a code of ethics.
Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist, or CRPS®
- Completed a course of study encompassing design, installation, maintenance and administration of retirement plans;
- Passed an end-of-course examination that tests their ability to synthesize complex concepts and to apply theoretical principles to life situations;
- Pledged adherence to the CRPS® Standards of Professional Conduct, and are subject to a disciplinary process in that regard.
CRPS® designees renew their designation every two years by completing 16 hours of continuing education, reaffirming adherence to the Standards of Professional Conduct, and complying with self-disclosure requirement
Certified Fund Specialist, or CFS®
- Fund analysis and selection;
- Asset allocation;
- Portfolio construction;
- Sophisticated investment strategies for risk management, taxes, and estate planning.
Accredited Wealth Management Advisor, or AWMA®
- Completed a course of study encompassing wealth strategies, equity-based compensation plans, tax-reduction alternatives, and asset-protection alternatives;
- Passed an end-of-course examination that tests their ability to synthesize complex concepts and apply theoretical concepts to real-life situations;
- Agreed to adhere to the AWMA® Standards of Professional Conduct, and are subject to a disciplinary process in that regard.
AWMA® designees renew their designation every two years by completing 16 hours of continuing education, reaffirming adherence to the Standards of Professional Conduct, and complying with self-disclosure requirements.
Certified Annuity Specialist, or CAS®
Subject Areas Covered
- Fixed-Rate, Variable, and Equity-Indexed Annuities
- Subaccount Management, Selection, and Allocation
- Income Vehicles, Benefits, Taxation, and Ownership
- Contract Structure and Estate Considerations
- Product and Contract Features Comparison
- Mutual Funds vs. Annuity Living Benefits
- Modern Portfolio Theory (MPT)
Certified Estate and Trust Specialist, or CES™
A Certified Estate and Trust Specialist™ (CES™) is an educated, experienced, and qualified professional committed to the well being of you, your family, and your business.
Named a Five Star Wealth Manager 6 Years Running
In 2018, 2819 Boston wealth managers were nominated with only 487 projected winners.
To receive the Five Star Wealth Manager award, financial advisors must satisfy a series of eligibility and evaluation criteria associated with wealth managers who provide services to clients. Recipients are identified through research conducted by industry peers and firms. Third party rankings and recognitions from rating services or publications are not indicative of past or future investment performance.For more information, go to www.fivestarprofessional.com.